Professional and amateur athletics are multi-billion dollar industries operating on multiple levels. It is a world where talent, discipline, commitment and tenacity are necessary for achieving success on and off the field. For legal professionals, it demands sound business judgment, knowledge of public policy and an advanced legal skillset. Lucentem’s sports attorneys understand this world.
Lucentem provides services to elite level athletes, regional and national sports organizations and a wide range of other industry stakeholders. We provide counsel that reflects our clients’ needs and protects their interests. We work to make sure that the full spirit of your business structures and agreements are recorded in clear and complete documents that anticipate and settle potential problems.
As General Counsel for the Canadian Association for Sport Kickboxing (CASK), Lucentem is uniquely positioned to provide legal advice relating to the needs of the combative sport community.To read more on how CASK is a world leader in the development of amateur mixed-martial arts.
We pride ourselves on providing high quality sport consultant services including:
Our experienced team represents sport organizationsand athletes at all levels. We assist our client in interpreting legislation and governing rules, as well as advocating for statutory reform in the public interest. Clients have sought our counsel in relation to:
- Disciplinary hearings
- Regulatory appeals
- Eligibility requirements and reviews of decisions
- Off-field conduct violations
Governance and Leadership
Structure and leadership are critical to the successful development of sport organizations. We assist our clients in developing governence competencies and frameworks to suit their evolving needs. Our expertise spans from helping set up small voluntary organizations to consultancy support for national governing bodies. Our work in supporting organizations includes:
- Incorporation and bylaw development
- Board structuring and review
- Competence and skills frameworks
- Staffing including coaches, trainers, athletes and management
- Contract drafting and negotiations
Education and Awareness
Lucentem Sports & Entertainment Law provides up-to-date legal education programs aimed at elite level athletes, coaches and sporting organizations. Our curricula are tailored to address each organization’s specific needs and interests. We are ready to dispatch speakers to your organization addressing a wide variety of topics including:
- Employment best practices, including not-for-profit
- Concussion liability and prevention workshops
- NCAA eligibility requirements
- Legal issues in combative sports
- Sports agent regulation
- Performance enhancing drugs and sanctions
- Crisis management for elite athletes and organizations
- U.S. immigration regulations for athletes
Please contact our law office in downtown Toronto for consultation.